SC - OOP Gingered Butternut Squash Soup Recipe

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 19 06:13:31 PDT 1998

Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> The recipe is known to be modern.  The recipe does not appear among the
> recipes known to exist in the given time frame.  Ergo, the recipe is NOT a
> historic artifact of the timeframe defined by the word "period".
>
> If all of the ingredients are from "period," and the cooking techniques are
> not out of line with what we know of historic practices, then the dish is at
> best "perioid."  As long as you are not trying to achieve historic
> authenticity, this is valid speculation, but you should differentiate
> between fact and opinion.

Or, one could simply say it's undocumented.

This is a problem I frequently run across with people who simply don't realize
the sheer numbers of medieval and other period recipes that we still have
access to. The assumption seems to be that the majority of the recipes are
lost to us (and that may well be true), therefore the recipes that do exist
are rare and hard to find.

Another consideration is that even SCA feasts of period foods usually don't
conform to a period menu structure, so when you combine a lack of appreciation
of the period menu with a misunderstanding of the number and the value of the
extant medieval sources, what people often feel left with is more or less a
shopping list composed by archaeologists. We know they had oats, and onions,
and milk, etc., so we should make up something using those foods.

Looking at it that way, I could see the buternut squash thing developing quite
possibly as a sincer desire to duplicate a medieval dish, even if the method
of recreation isn't the way you or I would do it.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy