Haggis and lamb tummies was Re: SC - More lamb

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Mon Oct 19 06:40:31 PDT 1998

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Weiszbrod, Barbara A wrote:

> 	The reason I find this comforting is that I can handle cooking the
> hart and the liver, but the idea  of lungs in a pot with the trachia hanging
  ^^^^

<flame type="speling">
Do you refer to the heart or to a deer?
</flame>

> out the side is too much for this city girl.  Yucky.

Wimp. Anyway, the trachea is mostly connective tissue and cartilage, and
thus rather meanlingless in food. Cut them off (your local cats and dogs
will love you for it), and use the rest. Or make stock from it.

I once had something called "Khirgisian lung cheese", the ingredients of
which was lambs lungs and milk. Fill lung with milk (high fat) and tie
off. Boil in milk (for some timeframe which I can't recall at the
moment). Not bad at all. Tasted like nothing I ever seen an english name
for (rather like "kalvdans" or "kaffeost" for those who might know what
that implies[1]). No documentation was provided.

/ulfR

[1] No, Ras, I don't have any recipies for either of these, but *might*
be able to find one for the former. It is some form of non-sweet
"cheesecake" made from the first milk.

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                   parlei at algonet.se
http://www.algonet.se/~parlei
Any spelling flame has at least one spelling error in it.