SC - Korean food question

Mon Oct 19 07:46:41 PDT 1998

> It seems as if I recall that I saw or read somewhere that capsicums and a
> variety of corn were being grown in Japan or Korea when the Portuquese
> arrived
> there. Supposedly they had been introduced from the Chinese trade with the
> West coast of the USA. Part iof the supporting argument involved the
> finding
> of anchor stones off the US coast that were of Oriental fashionand/or
> origin.
>
> Is anyone else aware of this particular theory? Is there more information
> available about it?
>
> Ras

IIRC, the anchor stones were found off the Washington/Oregon coast near the
Columbia River mouth.  The area is not noted for maize or peppers, but it is
possible they were grown there.  We also have no idea where the Oriental
tourists went other than where they lost the anchor stones.  Years ago, I
came across a reference to a written account of a Chinese visit to North
America in Pre-Columbian times, but I have no other evidence that it exists.

Apparently, Chinese maize and American maize have so many biological and
genetic differences, it is unlikely they are closely related.  This does not
stop the Diffusionist and Anti-Diffusionists from beating each other over
the head with evidence pro and con Pre-Columbian contact.  The area expert I
have seen quoted is Mangelsdorf.

I haven't come across anything on the peppers.

Bear