SC - I have a problem

Groulx, Michelle MGroulx at NRCan.gc.ca
Mon Oct 19 10:08:17 PDT 1998

Adamantius said...

	Well, the problem is that it is a radio broadcast, so it's an audio
file, in the Real Player format. Hmmm. I wonder if there's a way to convert
it to a WAV or something like that.

Thank you, I got some msg's that I've never seen before on this server it
kinda confused me. I just figured it was another federal gov't idea that got
way outta hand.

	Basically it's a pretty standard news report about the lunch, which
seems to have been cooked, all or in part, by a writer for Gourmet magazine,
and which incuded some dishes from Apicius, possibly La Varenne or maybe La
Chappelle (they just mentioned a 17th-century French book), and some 19th
century English dishes, with theu usual range of responses from the diners,
from moronic up to and including some pretty worldly acknowledgement that
our ancestors knew some things about eating that we might profit to learn. I
was surprised to hear the Gourmet magazine writer who had cooked the Apician
dishes say that the biggest problem he had to overcome was in finding dishes
that avoided the use of unpopular animal parts, drawing out the usual
reference to hummingbirds' tongues from the reporter. (Hence my use of the
word moronic. That and some empirical claims that English food is bland, or
some such, and obviously hasn't changed... .)

What IS it with these types?

	Apart from the useful info that Roman cooking was a lot more like
Southeast Asian cooking than Italian cooking, which is something I have long
maintained, there wasn't all that much in the report one couldn't pick up
from looking at a translation of Apicius.

Thank you. I don't need therapy anymore and can sleep tonite. <grin>

M.
PS What did you think of the other thingy I sent?