SC - The Problems with Lungs

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Oct 19 11:38:26 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/19/98 1:39:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tyrca at yahoo.com
writes:

<<  Perhaps there is
 another way to cook them, >>

My experience with cooking lungs is that the trachea should be draped over the
pot rim as suggested. I have removed it and found that the lungs puff up with
the hot air and steam from cooking. They then float around on the surface like
some bizaare sea creature. If the lungs are slit, the slit seems to adhere to
the underlying lissue and you get an irregular blob floating about. EWither
way, floating causes uneven cooking, which is a bad thing. I have also cut
them in pieces which causes a decenable flavor difference in the finished
product.

In smaller animals the problem of floating is not quite so bad. In fact, the
garbage that I served with the Roasted Rabbit at Will's contained not only the
heart, livers  spleen and kidneys of the rabbit but also the lungs. They
seemed to cook well and the air sort of disappereared aftem repeated
submersions and stirrings.

Ras