Haggis and lamb tummies was Re: SC - More lamb

grasse at mscd.edu grasse at mscd.edu
Mon Oct 19 14:05:06 PDT 1998

I guess I feel bold enough to address several items in one post

1  Blood as an ingredient - for an A&S entry I made Blutwurst - a blood
sausage - and served it on home grown/ home fermented sauerkraut.  As an
alternate I made a white (chicken) sausage and presented it on red cabbage
(at this point I am not too sure of my alternates authenticity).  My 3
judges were all Laurels.  Only one gentleman had the stomach (pun intended)
to try the Blutwurst - and he came back for more,  but the general populace
still mostly made ucky faces when reading my ingredients list. (And yes,  I
was scrupulously careful in my processing.)

2 - When I put out my entry (and at most every event where I display or
enter food that is to sit out for extended periods of time (more than 2
hours)) I placed it in a crock-pot set on low.  The hall was quite chill,
so the hot sausage was a treat, and I felt better about keeping cooties at
bay (the low setting on mine keeps it out of that
body-warm-perfect-for-growing-stuff- temperature range.) The lid on the pot
combined with the cabbage base kept the sausage from drying out.

3   I know what I serve the populace is good, what I serve high table is
equally good, but presented on a fancier platter, the arrangement is
perhaps more "high class" but the food is the same.  (ex.  I served smoked
fish.  the populace platters each had  filet pieces,  the head table got a
whole fish presented on his belly as if it were still swimming on the
platter - it looked fancier, but was the same thing.)  I guess my personal
prejudice is based on the high probability that I will never sit at high
table,  and I have (more times than I wish to count) been below the salt -
picking at a small amount of cold something (that should have been hot)
while great mounds went back from head table - untouched.  It does leave a
bad taste, and while I can not change how those feasts were done I can try
not to create those "bad tastes" when I am cooking.

(Hoping she has not offend someone with her decided opinions)
Gwen
Caerthe