SC - A question on Servers

Erin Kenny Erin.Kenny at sofkin.ca
Tue Oct 20 03:27:44 PDT 1998

Hi!

I happen to be the lady in question.  I am Kitchen Steward for Feast
of the Hare, which will take place November 7th.  At the latest
canton meeting I asked how many servers we had signed up, so that I
could nudge my friends.  The autocrat rather unceremoniously informed
me that we would not be having servers, just a person from each table
would truck off to the kitchen.

> Hi from Anne-Marie
> 1. formal serving, with assigned "servants" who's job it is to wait on you
> hand and foot. Pros: most medieval, very flashy, food gets served in the
> correct order, kitchen head can tell servers how she wants it done. Cons:
> takes a long time. Some people wont get to sit and eat with their friends
> cuz theyre serving. Need to actually TRAIN your crew or else it ends up
> like the keystone cops.

This is how I wanted it done.  My husband was all set to train the
crew, and they were going to process in beautifully and do laving,
etc.  The autocrat doesn't see the problem.

If it were a feast for 80 it wouldn't be as much of a big deal, but
we're talking 180 people here.  I don't need 25 clueless strangers in
my kitchen asking if it's time yet.  <argh!>  The autocrat claims
that she has budgeted so tightly that we can't afford servers (we
usually give them half price feast and I feed them ahead of time).
Give me a break!  If she's budgeted that tightly, then she's doing
something wrong, and she's going to be screwed if the turnout is too
low.

Sorry, but I'm a bit ticked about this.  Yesterday she phoned my
deputy (who's a big help, but his initial purpose was to have a
back-up cook in case I accepted a job in Florida) and asked him to
keep an eye on me to make sure I don't blow the budget.  She's afraid
I won't give people their money's worth in food (because I asked if I
came in a bit under budget could I "buy" servers).  I'm almost ready
to quit on them, but that would look bad on me (and the other cooks
in the canton have guaranteed that they won't cook if I walk).

Help!

Claricia Nyetgale
Cocinera for Feast of the Hare 20