SC - Alcohol law in the SCA-personal thoughts

Peggy A. Stonnell izzie at vcn.bc.ca
Wed Oct 21 07:39:27 PDT 1998

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Decker, Terry D. wrote:

<snip>

> IIRC, BC also has state run liquor stores with strange hours, or perhaps
> that's the Yukon.  In Oklahoma, everything other than 3.2 malt beverages
> must be sold through a liquor store and that store can not sell anything
> other than alcohol.  You have to go to a grocery or a convenience store to
> purchase your mixers.
>
> Bear

That depends on your defination of strange hours.  Many of the BC Liquor
Contral Board stores (yes, that's what they are called) are open until
midnight (at, least in larger population areas, which is where I live, so
that's what I know about).  They are closed on Sundays and stat. holidays.
There are pubs that have beer and wine stores that are open when the
liquor store is closed and some nice up-scale wine stores as well.
   You are right about the mixers.  On the other hand, may of BC Liquor
stores are located near a grocery store, often ones that have the same
closing time.  So, it's not a major effort to get the mixer.  The one I
visit most often is across the parking lot from a Safeway.  Besides, this
means that all their (the liquor store) is devoted to displaying the
alcohol.
   About the major downside we find with the liquor laws and regs as they
currently stand, is that our brewers and vinters _cannot_ make beer and
wine for our feasts.  About once a year, they get together for a tavern
night.  The site fee pays for the roon and a light meal (stew and a bun).
All the drinks are free.  This is allowed as it is a private club of
brewers having a tasting.

Ain't lawmakers weird?

Isobel fitz Gylbert
Company of Provisioners, Lions Gate, An Tir
(Cordial maker)