SC - serving

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Wed Oct 21 07:58:42 PDT 1998

Hi from Anne-Marie
We are asked:
> There is a wonderful (Dutch??) picture of a tavern, late period,
> where 3 servers are evidently dealing with the entire hall full of
> people - 2 servers are carrying what looks like a door, with _all_ the
> food for that course on it (ie. one dish of each - presumably a runner
> would be sent back for more when something runs out, so it remains
> reasonably hot), while the other one apparently takes orders and serves
> individually.  Anyone tried this?

Our "boon day Meal" a few years back involved burley gentlemen schlepping
the food from the kitchen WAAAAAY up the hill on "doors" (we used banquet
tables with the legs folded up) down to the field where everyone gathered
to eat. Worked great! tho I must admit there was a bit of handwringing on
the part of the tired cooks as the fruits of their labors winded thier way
down the hill...what if they'd dropped it??!!!

FYI, there's pictures by Brugel of the same type thing...bowls being
brought in on long planks.

- --Anne-Marie
Madrone/An TIr
Seattle/WA