SC - Pass it through a sieve

Knott, Deanna Deanna.Knott at GSC.GTE.Com
Wed Oct 21 09:22:41 PDT 1998

Greetings!

I have been reading Platina lately.  I just got to the chapter on sauces
(again, love this book!).  In lots of his recipes, he says to 'mix all of
this stuff together and pass it through a sieve.'

What exactly does that mean?  Unfortunately, I left the book at home, but, I
remember one recipe that seemed like it would be nothing more than flavored
vinegar once you passed it through a sieve.  Is a sieve a strainer with very
fine holes?  Or, does my definition need fixing?

If specific examples are needed for clarification, let me know and I will
post them.

Yours,
Avelina, Lady Keyes
East Kingdom