SC - Guilds & Alcohol law in Ansteorra

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Wed Oct 21 09:50:21 PDT 1998

Lord Ras said something that sounded like:
> My question now is what do you mean by the statement concerning the laws about
> guilds?

Just what I said. The individuals in our guild own everything, and is
funded by individuals. Although some of the guilds (such as dance for a
boom box that will be used by the Barony when needed) can petition the
Barony for funds, the majority are all funded by individuals.

Within our guild, there are individuals that have donated equipment to
the guild, this follows the Guildmaster and is of questionable ownership.

> Since one of the tasks of the A & S minister is to encourage the
> formation of Guilds,

Our local A&S minister not only enoucrages them, they actually keep
track of what they do monthly.

> As an aside, those members residing in Pennsylvania will be happy to note that
> as of 2 or 4 months ago, you not only are allowed to home produce 200 gallons
> of wine per adult person per year privately without permit but you are also
> now allowed to brew an additional 200 gallons of beer, ale or other malt
> beverages per adult person without permit.

One of the things I have not figured out is if the BATF guidelines of
limitations superceed those states that have made the limitation *laxer*
instead of stricter. I know you can make things stricter, but don't know
if you can make them more lenient.

The federal guidelines/law reads:

5053 Exemptions

  (e) Beer for personal or family use. --Subject to regulation prescribed
  by the Secretary, any adult may, without payment of tax, produce beer
  for personal or family use and not for sale. The aggregate amount
  of beer exempt from tax under this subsection with respect to any
  household shall not exceed--

     (1) 200 gallons per calendar year if there are 2 or more adults in
     such household, or

     (2) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only 1 adult in
     such household.

   For purposes of this subsection, the term "adult" means an
   individual who has attained 18 years of age, or the minimum age
   (if any) established by law applicable in the locality in which
   the household is situated at which beer may be sold to individuals,
   whichever is greater.

==========

Then Alys D. said something that sounded like:
> > Personally I think the current law helps both the guilds and the feast
> > coordinators. It allows the feast coordinators to get alcohol
> > (admittedly only wines, beers, etc) for free, and it allows the brewers
> > to show off their skills.
> Here I have to dissagree with Pug.  The law in no way helps the head cook.
> Example: one of the dishes that Gunthar prepared for 12th Night last January
> required Brandy.

While I did admit that it only allows them to provide wines, beers, etc,
it is a good arrangement. You are right that it is unfair that they have
to purchase hard liquor for it.

Brewing guilds spend their own money all the time to make alcohol and
are not reimbursed for it. This alcohol is often given to the populace
in the form of prizes, taverns, etc.

Those that are concerned for money can ask for donations. Those that want
to help compensate those spending their own money can assist them.

Btw, sorry if my messages get confusing. I read the list as a digest and
try to send one message instead of multiples.

Ciao,

- --