SC - Steak- OED-Question

Marc Carlson marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Thu Oct 22 07:29:50 PDT 1998

<James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain <alasdair.maciain at snet.net>>
>>his may be a stupid question, but I have little experience with the
>>OED. What do the numbers before the variant spellings signify?
>>Mercedes
>Negative.  With the OED, those numbers refer to the century in which the
>cited spelling was used - ie, 15th century steike, steyke, styke; 15th-16th
>steke; 16th steake; 17th-18th
>stake; 17th- steak.

To add to what this gentleman has said, according to the introduction in
the OED2 (Oxford English Dictionary, 2d Ed), v.1, p.xxvii these correlate
as follows:

 1 = upto the 11th century    Old English, or 'Anglo-Saxon'
 2 = 12th century             Old English Transition, or 'Semi-Saxon'
 3 = 13th century             Early Middle English
 4 = 14th century             Late Middle English
 5 = 15th century             Middle English Transition
 6 = 16th century             Early Modern English, or 'Tudor English'
 7 = 17th century             Middle Modern English
 8, 9, 20  18th, 19th, 20th centuries    Recent English.

Just as a note, don't be surprised if the Princeton OED site doesn't disappear
with higher usage.  The OED is fairly propriatary about its material (which
makes
sense considering how much the silly things cost), and I'm pretty sure that
this
is just a shortcut past Princeton's security that they will eventually
catch on
to and will close.

OB-Cooking (sort of)
I'm interested in Period (13-14th century Western Europe) drinks.  I know
there's Oxymel (wine vinegar and honey), and a few other "mels" out there,
as well as the basic Ale and Wine choices, and I'm really not interested in
anything alcoholic.  What I'm hoping for is something documentable that more
closely resembles "Root Beer" or "Ginger Ale".  Any thoughts?

Marc/Diarmaid
I. Marc Carlson
McFarlin Library, University of Tulsa -or- Tulsa Community College West
Campus LRC
marc-carlson at utulsa.edu/lib_imc at centum.utulsa.edu/lib_imc at hotmail.com
http:www.geocities.com/athens/parthenon/5923