SC - combining recipes

Helen him at gte.net
Fri Oct 23 19:29:17 PDT 1998

Ras wrote:
(I don't think that combining 12 pasta salad recipes would produce
anything other than another pasta recipe at best and a mess at worst),
the resulting recipe from combining 2 period recipes could only be
called period-like and not period, IMO.

I am sorry I beg to differ:

In normal everyday cooking, I always consult a lot of recipes to make
any dish I have never made before. I then do what I like after I get a
feel for the dish by research.
	 But, if I cook something my Mom taught me, I do it by feel. I feel
different one day to the next.  The dish is always good but not EXACTLY
the same.
	I can not believe the same would not have been true in a time when
recipes were almost never measured or written down. I can not believe
that a dish at any time period, could turn out exactly the same each
time you made it, if you never measure and do not write things down.  I
know every time I have had spaghetti sauce it was different.
Recognizably the same dish, but different every time I have ever tasted
it.

					Sorry to disagree.

					Helen

- --
"If life turned out like we planned it, what would be the point of
living it?"