SC - combining recipes

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Oct 23 19:46:49 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/23/98 10:29:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, him at gte.net
writes:

<< Sorry to disagree.

 					Helen >>

Why be sorry? In essence I agree. But then the question becomes  whether we
are content on doing period-like cooking or is there some discipline in
recreating the recipe exactly as written.

There is some supporting argument to the fact that a person can't possibly get
a feel for the cooking style they are trying to emulate if they aren't
familiar with that style through practice with existing recipes.

Although you, myself, and several others on this list may be 'instinctive'
cooks or have a broad enough background in cookery to  'wing it', there are
many who don't have a clue as to what is exceptable period-like combinations.
I personally think it a disservice to encourage those individuals to be overly
creative in the beginning. Through practise they may eventually reach that
level. But I don't feel that inexperienced cooks should take such a path until
they are familier with the style.

Ras