SC - Modern sanitary concerns... bah ;)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Oct 24 22:09:38 PDT 1998

Magdalena vander Brugghe asked:

> I have a question for ya'll.  I am working on a bid for the feast for
> next summer's Landsknecht Musterung.  I wanted to do some showy dish.
> I've run across mention of peacocks redressed in their skins a couple of
> times, and I think I saw mention of the same for pheasants and swans
> elsewhere.  I would love to try something like this, but it brings up
> the problem of, well, not poisoning everyone in the hall.  (Well, there
> are a few... oh, never mind ;)  Has anyone tried this?  Does anyone know
> how to treat the skins to get rid of the creepy-crawlies both on the
> inside and the outside?

This has been discussed several times previously on this list. I think
some of the details can be found in this file in the FOOD-SWEETS section of
my Florilegium:

sotelties-msg    (105K)  6/30/98    Sotelties and Warners - decorated food.

It is also mentioned in the following file in the FOOD section, but I think the
description is brief. This article though has a lot of ideas for dishes
that could be real showy if you are open to other ideas too:

Warners-art       (32K)  6/29/98    An article on disguised food.
                                       by Alizaunde, Demoiselle de Bregeuf.

This file also has some info on peacock dishes:

exotic-meats-msg  (39K)  9/25/98    Period and SCA exotic meats. Swans,
ostrich,
                                       eels, peacocks, crawfish, dormice, snails

I have also been considering creating a file specifically on these peacock
dishes as questions on them come up with regularity. However, I haven't made
up my mind on this yet. If you would like the messages I have saved on this,
just let me know and I'll send them to you by email.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net

(My files can be found at: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html)