SC - My Upcoming feast... menu ver 1.0

Karen tyrca at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 27 06:42:06 PST 1998

Ras and Brandu are discussing wine and beer and ale.  Brandu says:

The author rarely gives a color or type when he calls for wine as an
ingredient, by the way, possibly assuming that you would know which
wine to
use when. Is there a documentation that says "red for meat, white for
fish,
blush for pork" in period that I can use for a cross reference? Or is
that
distinction an artifact of 19th century French schools?

<<<<<<<<

I don't know if as much differentiation was always made between red
and white, or between beer and ale.  In Germany, Heidelberg Castle,
they have a huge vat into which ALL the wine tributes of the year were
poured, and mixed together, then piped to several private rooms in the
castle.  As the pipes were all lead, this explains some of the
eccentricities of royalty of the time.  But they were not so much
concerned with color and vintage, as getting the wine from the
basement into the glasses.  Very ingenious plumbing.

Tyrca

PS  I don't remember, but maybe Bear does.  Is there another word in
German for ale?  Or are they both termed 'bier"?

==
Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir
- -"Honesty is Everything"
AoA, OPN, ASTA, oleander
Barony of Elfsea (Life is Good in Elfsea!)
(all sorts of places in and around Ft. Worth, TX)
Kingdom of Ansteorra