SC - Ethiopian honey wine

Ian van Tets ivantets at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Wed Oct 28 11:36:26 PST 1998

Hi,
      Just thought Russ, Berengaria and others might be pleased to
know that Ethiopian honey wine is (in my humble opinion) a  valid late
period mead variant.  Alvarez's  account of the Portuguese
embassy to Abyssinia in 1527 gave the local honey wine a very
favourable review.
      (btw - to avoid disappointment I feel that I should warn those
of you who are interested in Abyssinian cuisine that Alvarez was not.
 When he describes feasts, he concentrates on people, clothing,
customs and alcohol - especially the alcohol - but food is generally
mentioned only in passing.)
      Those of you interested in the history of Abyssinian/Western
contact during the period 600 - 1600 AD may find my short article in
Stefan's florilegium (under "cultures" I think) of interest.

I remain, yours in the dream,
Jan van Seist
.
Jan van Seist                (m.k.a Ian van Tets)
Adamastor, Drachenwald       (m.k.a Deepest Darkest Africa)
(somewhere under "here be monstres" in my copy of the known world handbook)

phone: 650 3641 (uni.), 689 7839 (H), 650 3301 (fax)
post:  San Remo court, Elma Rd. Rondebosch 7700, South Africa

E-mail:  ivantets at botzoo.uct.ac.za
 (also attached to Excite-PAL using this e-mail address)

Ain Ritter so geleret waz
Daz er an den Buochen las

(There once was a knight who was so clever he could read books!)