SC - Hollandaise sauce

Stapleton, Jeanne jstaplet at mail.law.du.edu
Wed Oct 28 08:31:11 PST 1998

	Recipes vary; as a rule I make mine with a tiny bit of fine
grain
	mustard (and was told that this was more "French" than
"American",
	but on what basis my source reached this conclusion is beyond
me),
	and no hot sauce; sometimes a grind of white pepper, sometimes a
	dash of nutmeg (usually not at the same time).  Sometimes I
leave
	out the mustard and up the lemon juice a hair (but that's when I
	make it for someone who likes the really lemony stuff).

	And generally I put 'extra" on everything, because if you're
going
	to go for the gusto and scare your doctor, why not go for it...

	Needless to say I really only indulge this habit once or twice a
	year.

Berengaria

Hollandaise is a sauce made from egg yolks, clarified butter, a small
amount
of lemon juice, and (at least in the resteraunt that I worked at in New
York) a dash of hot sauce.

I don't suppose it is at all period, but it is very tasty, and it keeps
cardiac doctors in business :)

Alys D.

SCA-Cooks".

SCA-Cooks".