SC - Broccoli-a new world food?

Thu Oct 29 19:43:45 PST 1998

> I knew Cauliflower was - wasn't sure about Broccoli. Was it refered to
> as Broccoli or did it have another name?
>
> Thanks
>
> 	Meliora.

They're all varieties of cabbage.  I don't have my notes handy, but memory
says they are all believed to be descended from sea kale found on northern
European coasts.

Leafy forms with very small heads came first, then selective breeding
produced cauliflower and broccoli, followed by head cabbage.  Brussel
sprouts are the newest variety.  There is some question about the precise
introduction of Brussel sprouts, but there is evidence to support its
existence in period.

Bear