SC - meat days and fast days - MIXED?

Stapleton, Jeanne jstaplet at mail.law.du.edu
Fri Oct 30 08:16:02 PST 1998

I'll go check it out, but I do note...these are all fish and shellfish
and sea creatures.  See earlier discussion on low number of fish
consumers at some SCA feasts, depending on locale.

One of the issues here, of course, is that we're in the middle third
of the country.  We don't have big fresh fish markets here, driving up
both expense and availability, and driving down variety and surety of
freshness.

As a childhood Alaskan, I'm not nuts about the salmon and halibut we
get here; I was spoiled by having friends with catch overload and
freezer overload, and even catchin' 'em myself.

And then we havea lot of corn-fed beef-reared palates.  Usually the
furthest afield they'll go is fresh trout and/or deep-fried catfish
(slurp!  born in Illinois, I do love good deep-fried catfish myself.)

but I'll go check out Master Chiquart.  :-)  Thank you, Your Grace.  :-)

Berengaria

At 12:41 PM -0700 10/29/98, Stapleton, Jeanne wrote:

>	Cool!  does he specify some dishes?

To put it mildly, yes. The book is webbed at:

http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Cookbooks/Du_Fait_de_Cuisine/du_fait_
de_c_con
tents.html

"And as at such a feast there could be some very high, puissant, noble,
venerable and honorable lords and ladies who do not eat meat, for these
there must be fish, marine and fresh-water, fresh and salt, in such
manner
as one can get them.

And as the sea-bream is king of the other sea fish, listed first is the
sea-bream, conger-eel, grey mullet, hake, sole, red mullet, dorade,
plaice,
turbot, sea-crayfish, tuna, sturgeon, salmon, herrings, sardines,
sea-urchin, mussels, eels, boops, ray, cuttle-fish, arany marine,
anchovies, eels, both fresh and salted.

Concerning fresh-water fish: big trout, big eels, lampreys, filleted
char,
fillets of big pike, fillets of big carp, big perch, ferrés, pallés,
graylings, burbot, crayfish, and all other fish."

And lots of recipes.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

SCA-Cooks".