SC - RE: FAQ

Weiszbrod, Barbara A Barbara.Weiszbrod at SW.Boeing.com
Mon Oct 5 07:57:18 PDT 1998

Wolfmother wrote:

"to exchange and redact recipes":  Many beginning cooks have no clue
what the word "redact" means.  Our intro shouldn't send them running to
a dictionary. I would like to suggest using "translate/modernize"
instead.  These terms would be easily recognizable by anyone, even if
they can't boil water.

I don't agree, on several levels.  One, everyone on the list uses the
word redact, so they had better learn what it means at some point, and
two part of what we do in the SCA (at least I hope it is part of what we
do) is to push the edges of our knowledge further and further.  If you
only use language that you can be sure the average Texas high school
graduate would know, than you are not helping people with that growth.

Instead I would suggest you include the deffinition "to exchange and
redact (to translate and modernize from the period source) recipes"

or something like that.

Besides, I love running to the dictionary, doesn't everyone?  Hey, do
you all know that the OED is now on line?  Here is the address:
http://pleth.princeton.edu/OED/oed.html.  Too cool, huh?

Alys D.