SC - RE: FAQ

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 5 09:13:44 PDT 1998

Cindy Renfrow wrote:

> I disagree with Alys.  The word 'redact', means "to put into suitable
> literary form, revise, edit"; or to draw up or frame as of a legal or
> literary document.
> This has little or nothing to do with our usage of 'translating/modernizing
> & adapting old recipes for our use.'  Even the OED does not support this
> usage.
> When I first came across the word 'redact' here on this list I was confused
> by it. Referring to the dictionary only added to that confusion. I suggest
> we stop misusing the word, and use instead 'adapt, modernize, interpret,'
> etc.
>
> Just my $.02 worth.
>
> Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu

No flames from me about that. I've always hated that word, although I will
occasonally use it as a form of shorthand when I expect everyone else will
know what is meant by it. It is simply synonymous with the word "edit", and it
is my belief that the person who popularized its use in SCA parlance did so in
an attempt to employ pretentious pseudoprofessional jargon to make the person
in question appear more pretentiously pseudoprofess...well, you know what I mean.

G. Tacitus (And now I'll tell ya what I _REALLY_ think) Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com