SC - Wedding feast-longish

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Mon Oct 5 10:49:42 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/5/98 7:22:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< & dresse it in disches;  & set (th)eryn clowe gilofre,
 & strew sugre aboue.”
 			Curye On  Inglysch, Book III, Utilis Coquinario,  Ed. Constance B. Hieatt
&
 Sharon Butler, Oxford University Press, Oxford 1985
(Snip)
 All we know for sure is that it has to be thick enough to hold up some cloves
set
 into its surface, long enough to make it to the table, and you might be
 surprised at how thin a pottage will do that.

	One minor point........
	I read "clowe gilofre" not as cloves, but as "clove gillyflowers", i.e.
dianthus. Which is not an uncommon use for these lovely flowers, since I
believe they got one of their nicknames, "Sops-in-wine", from being floated on
the surface of various wine drinks. And I think I've seen them mentioned in
various salat recipes, too.......

		Ldy Diana, always alert to herb uses!