SC - canning links

Helen him at gte.net
Mon Oct 5 13:41:59 PDT 1998

Mary Morman wrote:

> you find whole nutmegs in the spice section of any grocery store.  I know
> McCormick sells them.  Just check to see if you are getting whole or
> ground.  the whole ones often come in the little narrow cans rather than
> the glass jars - but you might find them both places.
>
> elaina

I don't know if this is an issue or not, but I seem to recall the original
postor -- the lady who asked for the conversion amount for one nutmeg's worth
of ground stuff -- was writing from Fairbanks, Alaska. Now I've never been to
Fairbanks, but I know a few people from there, and I've always got the
impression that a lot of the products in the stores have undergone some very
expensive shipping, and that it doesn't always pay the stores to stock too
much in the way of variety. It may be that whole nutmeg is an item some
grocery buyer/manager felt Fairbanks could dispense with.

Somewhere around here my lady wife has a very sensitive jeweler's scale, and
if I could find the thing I suppose I could weigh a nutmeg and work from
there. Does anyone else have access to such a scale without having to risk the
need for chiropractic treatments? And yes, it's true that commercial ground
nutmeg has lost a fair amount of its aroma and flavor compared to the fresh
stuff, but there are ways around that too if there simply is no whole stuff available.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com