SC - Sealing a Cauldron

Cathy Harding charding at nwlink.com
Tue Oct 6 22:31:47 PDT 1998

Lady Elisabeth of Pendarvis

I realized that I have done some pickling (type of pickles good after a couple
of days) and vinegars, and even some beer/wine brewing, but never any canning,
including jellies/preserves.  Asking the kitchen goddesses/gods on this list,
help direct me.  Recommend a good beginner's preserves recipe. (or for canning
fruit or veggies) A list of what I need to have.  Tips and Tricks to remember or
watch out for.  Good articles or books to cross reference.  That way I can
experiment a bit this weekend.

- ------------------
I'm not entirely sure what kind of information you are looking for.

Try these files in the FOOD section of my Florilegium files:
pickled-food-msg  (60K)  9/21/98    Medieval pickled food. recipes.

The following is mostly modern canning, but I thought the ideas were good
for SCA camping:
canning-msg       (26K)  4/17/98    Use of canning in the SCA. Directions.

For fruit preserves/jellies we had quite a discussion here a little while
ago. Some of that info is in this file:
fruits-msg       (174K)  8/31/98    Medieval fruits and fruit dishes. Recipes.

These others might be of interest, but I think most of the jelly info is in
the previous file.
fruit-apples-msg  (30K)  8/28/98    Period apples and apple recipes.
fruit-pears-msg   (21K)  8/31/98    Period pears and pear recipes.
fruit-quinces-msg (24K)  6/24/98    Period uses and recipes for quinces.

My files are at: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Lord Stefan li Rous
Ansteorra
stefan at texas.net