SC - question about period wededings

JEANNE STAPLETON jstaplet at du.edu
Thu Oct 8 14:26:56 PDT 1998

>         Not many "formal" recipes--most are just adaptations of standard ones. A
> couple are biscotti recipes, though--I'll try to look them up sometime soon.
> But if you have any plain biscotti recipes around, try adding either lavender
> or basil (Especially cinnamon basil, with a bit more cinnamon in the batter!
> Yummmmm...... ;-) ). The lavender biscotti are especially nice with white
> chocolate in the dough. (Isn't everything?!? ;-) ) If you don't have a
> biscotti recipe handy, a standard sugar cookie dough is a good base to add
> herbs to, as well.

I don't think I have a biscotti recipe but I do know I have several
different sugar cookie recipes.  How do you know how much herbs to use,
is it just to taste or is there a certain amount.

>         The rosemary-and-raisin combination is one I picked up from one of our local
> Laurels. She made some bread with this combination one time that I fell in
> love with! Rosemary by itself is great in sweets, too, of course, but the
> raisins are a very nice complimentary flavor. Try it in cookies, muffins,
> biscuits, cakes, and, of course, bread........  ;-)  It's best done with fresh
> rosemary, so the needles don't poke into your mouth, but dried will certainly
> work. Just crunch it up a bit so the needles aren't so long...........

We have fresh and dried Rosemary along with fresh lavendar.  So I will
probably be making bread one of these weekends.  :-)

>         As for recipes for your other herbs, experimentation will be your best guide,
> but there are a *lot* of herb books out there these days with great recipes to
> try. Go prowl through the cookbook and Herb sections of your bookstores to
> find some that you like the style of. Or check out the magazines Herb
> Companion and Herb Quarterly--they have recipes in each issue and it sounds
> like you'd enjoy the rest of the articles, too.

We just picked up a two book combo on growing and using herbs, it has
some recipes in it so we will start with those and your ideas and go
from there.

>         One starter idea, using rosemary again in my all-time-favorite combo: with
> garlic! Cover a pork roast with garlic slices and a heavy sprinkling of
> rosemary--use lots! Add salt and pepper, and pour enough port wine over it all
> to come part way up the sides. Cover and roast until done, removing the lid
> long enough to brown the meat. Wonderful stuff........ :-)
>                 Ldy Diana

My husband does most of the cooking.  He made a venison roast that was
absolutely divine!!  He put garlic, rosemary and I don't know what all
else on the roast.  The meat just melted in your mouth and fell off the
bone.  We will have to try the roast with port wine.  Sounds
delicious!!  :-)

Thanks for all the info!!

Dierdre