SC - murri infonow carob/ dibs question

Deborah Schumacher chicagojo at rni.net
Thu Oct 8 19:03:01 PDT 1998

I was raised in a college town (State College PA).  When I was growing up
my mother was sure that the international Student office had a little sign
which said "want to meet an american family?, need a place to stay? etc.

We never knew what was going to be for dinner, let alone who was going to
cook it or what country they would be from.  We have a Thai princess who
always brought someone to cook for us and then she would do the dishes -
they never let her do so at home.  We were exposed to foods of Africa,
china, south america and just about everywhere else.

I am the only one of three daughters who is food adventurous.  I have tried
every thing that is put infront of me - whale meat, muktuk, moose, seal
oil, (I did turn down Stinky fish heads - a delicacy in some of the Y-K
Delta villages in Alaska, botulism possibilities). One thinks the only way
to do fish is deep fried and Denny's is upscale.  The other never eats
anything spicer than soy sauce.

So even tho' you can expose kids to all kinds of foods, one can't tell what
their food tastes will be when they grow up.

Maeve d'Maas
Barony of Madrone, Kingdom of An Tir
Seattle Washington

Kingdom Newsletter Editor
(Don't ask me to do anything between the 28th and the 5th of the Month!
That's when the silly thing gets put together)