SC - The High Cost of Feasts/Events

Sun Oct 11 13:59:40 PDT 1998

> << How many people do you normally feed?  And how many of those make
>  reservations?
>
>  Bear >>
>
> Normal non-RP feasts are limited to 125 to 150 on-board. The last few
> years
> on-board space has been sold out usually within a couple of weeks of the
> event. Some like the Roc feast were sold out several weeks in advance.
> Lunch
> and breakfasts and Friday night snacks are available to all comers.  With
> $5.oo per head feast cost, I have personally never had a problem coming in
> under budget and serving  an average of 10 to 16 dishes at feast. Of
> course,
> one of the secrets is avoiding Purdue and settling for Townsend. :-)

The feasts are about the same size, but we seldom sell out on advance
reservation and may not reach break even before the event starts.  It's
joyous when reservations hit break-even two weeks before the event.  This
has a lot to do with Kingdom demographics and attitudes.

The next problem is most reservations are not pre-paid, so you can still
lose, if inclement weather kills participation.  Such are the troubles of
Northern Ansteorra.

Considering the economics of your area and mine, I'll still build in a
profit to keep from destroying the treasury when an event goes under.  The
last time we had an exceptionally good year, we rolled the profits over into
a free event.

Bear