SC - first time feast planing

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Oct 11 14:56:07 PDT 1998

At 4:07 PM -0500 9/30/98, Helen wrote:
>Greetings all,
>	This is my first time to do this (for my spring wedding) and I have
>read alot of the nice links I have been sent.  I also have read other
>links I have found on my own on the web.  So many, (almost all) of the
>recipes call for almond milk.   I read that they used that because fresh
>milk was hard to get and keep.

Almond milk and cow's milk taste pretty different; sometimes they use
almond milk because that's the taste they want.  Sometimes it is for making
a sauce for a fast-day or Lenten dish, when one was not allowed to use meat
broth or (for fast days in Lent) cow's milk. It really isn't almost all
recipes: one can easily enough find a full menu's worth of period recipes
without almonds.

>...Is it possible, that the
>written recipes would not have covered the plain ol' spit roasting, as
>no one needed to be told how to do that?  I want to cook as much as I
>can outside.  I want to bake very little.

In general there are not recipes for spit-roasting, but there are frequent
references to it and there are sauces meant to go over roast meat. Serving
a sauce or sauces on the side to go with your meat makes it more period
without making it too weird for the meat-and-potaoes crowd. If you haven't
done spit-roasting before, try it out at home before you try it for a
feast, as the timing is often hard to figure without experience.

My husband and I publish a _Miscellany_ which has lots of period recipes
and an article ("To Make a Feast") on cooking feasts in general.  You can
find the online version by following links from his web page at:

http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

If you have questions about anything you find there, feel free to ask.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook