SC - RE: SC- Ideas for Girl Scout Demo feast?

LHG, JRG liontamr at ptd.net
Fri Oct 2 21:07:20 PDT 1998

Oh, Oh, I got It! Me, me, me:
Les Shelton Wrote:
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 22:04:20 -0400
From: Ann & Les Shelton <sheltons at conterra.com>
Subject: SC - Ideas for Girl Scout Demo feast?

They have scheduled a "Medieval" Core Camp for the 3rd weekend of
October and we will be doing an all-day demo on Saturday for them.
Today, they asked if we would be willing to serve them a period meal and
we agreed to {they're paying all expenses!}.  I will be the head cook.
The kitchen is excellent, so there aren't any significant constraints on
what we can do.

Now, I need to come up with a menu.

There will be approximately 155 girl scouts {ages 6-12} and leaders,
plus about 20 SCAdians to feed.  I've got some ideas already and I'll be
happy to continue posting this as a work in progress.  However, I'm
looking for suggestions.  Any ideas are encouraged/begged for!

John le Burguillun

And so Aoife. mother of 3 girl scouts AND troop leader for 2 troops, as
well as being an SCA cook, replies:

Start with Kenelm Digby's savory toasted cheese (Miscellany), and fresh
bread. My girls love it.
Apple Moyse will be a big hit (my girls request leftovers in the lunch
box).
I've always liked Mistress Alizoun (East's) idea for a chicken
main-dish/soteltie for kids, though I'm not aware of documentation:  Get a
clean wooden board. Hammer clean non-galvanized  steel nails in a grid
along the board at 3 to 4 inch intervals. On these you will slip cooked
chicken drumsticks (wide end down). Each drumstick gets a helmet of a large
red grape on the top, a shield of a cucumber slice (center boss as desired
with carrot slice or olve, etc), held on with a toothpick. Some can carry
swords of carrot sticks. Some can carry bamboo skewers with pennants on the
ends (girl scout army?). Sounds pretty cool to me!

I'm at a loss for greens. Someone might think of something normal-ish the
girls might eat.

A girl-scout related tableaux soteltie would be cool. Think of a famous
woman like Eleanor of Aquitane or Christine de pisan, and do a marzipan
sculpture (Eleanor riding into battle with her woman warriors. Or, Boudicca
in her war chariot. You get the idea. They'll be surprised they can
actually eat it!)

Ta-da! A feast.

HTH

Aoife