SC - Alcohol in Cooking (Long)

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Oct 4 07:34:40 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/4/98 9:59:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
alysk at ix.netcom.com writes:

<< “Still, alcohol is alcohol.  So let your conscience be your guide.”

I found the article you shared interesting but when I got out ye olde
calculator, I still am not impressed with the residual amounts of alcohol that
was calculated. It is still rather insignificant. And certainly less than the
naturally occuring alcohols present in many fruit juices or cider. I would be
curious to see which alcohols are left at the end of a cooking process. For
instance, glycerin is an alcohol which does not have any effect we normally
associate with alcohol.

I would also be curious to hear from the author what his purpose was in
including the last line in his article which is clearly sensationalist and
irrelevant.

Ras (who is wondering why the Washington Post doesn't hire more good writers.
:-())