SC - first time feast planning

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Oct 4 19:21:07 PDT 1998

Helen asked:

>  So many, (almost all) of the
>recipes call for almond milk.   I read that they used that because fresh
>milk was hard to get and keep.

I would suspect religous restrictions on real milk use or the fact that
cows did not give milk year round in medieval times, myself. I suspect
you could use regular milk instead of almond milk, but others on this list
probably have better answers on this.

If you do decide to use almond milk in some of your dishes, you might find
this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium useful:

almond-milk-msg   (32K)  7/15/98    Making almond milk. Recipes. Deskinning nuts

>  I was wanting to do soup, stew, salad,
>pie (eel?), salmon, fowl, roast pig.

Take a look at these files:
Period-Pies-art   (33K)  9/29/97    "Raising a Coffin or the Fine Art of Making
                                       Period Pies." by Lady Aoife Finn.
soup-msg          (99K)  8/ 4/98    Medieval soups. Cooking soups at events.
                                       recipes.
stews-bruets-msg  (35K)  5/20/98    Period stews and bruets. Recipes.
salads-msg        (81K)  8/ 4/98    Period salads. lettuce, greens.
eels-msg          (20K) 11/18/97    Eel dishes. Getting and cleaning eels.
fish-msg         (128K)  8/24/98    Medieval fish dishes. Fish in the SCA.
duck-goose-msg    (12K)  4/24/98    Cooking duck and goose. Recipes.
chicken-msg       (92K)  4/24/98    Period and SCA chicken recipes.
whole-pig-msg      (6K)  9/11/98    Info. on roasting a whole pig. Experiences.
Whole-Pig-Fst-art (36K)  9/22/98    Feast menu and recipes incl. a roasted pig.
  (the last is in the FEASTS section)

>The side dishes have not been picked yet.

Take a look at these files:
mushrooms-msg     (62K)  7/15/98    Period mushrooms. Recipes.
rec-leeks-msg     (17K) 11/19/97    Recipes for dishes using leeks.
rice-grains-msg   (79K)  9/28/98    Medieval rice and grains. Recipes. Cooking.
turnips-msg       (31K) 10/31/97    Turnips in period. Recipes.
vegetables-msg    (97K)  9/ 1/98    Period vegetables. Recipes.

>I want to cook as much as I can outside.  I want to bake very little.

Then this file might prove quite useful:
cook-ovr-fire-msg (33K)  8/21/98    Cooking over open fires. Outdoor feasts.

>                        Any thoughts?  Thanks,

Well, lots of thoughts in the files I've mentioned. Many from folks on this
list.

My files are at: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Lord Stefan li Rous
Ansteorra