SC - Apple cider

R. Trigg rtrigg at hoflink.com
Sun Oct 4 19:37:01 PDT 1998

Diana Haven said in Re: SC - Apple cider at Oct/03/1998, Sat 20:44:14.

> >I have just gotten access to an unlimited supply of unpasteurized, no
> >preservative added, apple cider.
> >
> >Any suggestions?
> >
> >Phlip
>
> Yes, yes, yes~!!!!!!  It is possible to make a wonderful hard cider from
> this!  I have to look up the way to do it....
>
> Diana

Hello, Diana, from two former ducks!

There are two ways to make hard cider:

1.) Put the cider into an appropriately-sized sterilized fermentation
vessel, add an airlock, and allow to bubble. A gallon takes about a week.
Bottle, drink. The drawback with this method, which I'm told is more
period, is that your results can vary wildly. You may get ambrosia, or you
may get something completely undrinkable.
           OR
2.) Heat pasturize the cider. Let it cool. Place in an appropriately sized
sterilized fermentation vessel. Add wine or champagne yeast and an airlock.
Let it bubble until it stops. Bottle. For champagne yeast, you will
definitely want to age it, probably at least six months. This method will
give you more controlled results, but is more labor intensive.

Gosphoza Nostas'ia Stepanova    (once known as Brighid O Maoilsheachlainn)
Barony of Ponte Alto, Atlantia    (originally from An Dubhaigeainn)
[Northern Virginia]
and
Seigneur Blaise de Cormeilles   (once known as Jamie FitzGeorge)
also of Ponte Alto, Atlantia       (also once a resident of An Dubhaigeainn)