SC - Salds-responce

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 5 09:29:43 PDT 1998

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 5-Oct-98 Re: SC -
Salds-responce Shari Burnham at execpc.com (2929*)

> If I were to pursue doing a medieval salad for a feast, I would stick with
> spinach, field greens, and a simple dressing like vinagrette.  One
> question I do
> have: I really enjoy cilantro, especially fresh.  Stefan, perhaps in your
> Florigium (sorry about the spelling) can you direct me towards more
> period herbs
> to use as part of the salad?  I know parsley is in period, but I don't
> remember if
> cilantro is.  I will check your salad area for the field greens.(thanks for the
> reminder!)

When I've done salads, I've mixed every green thing I could get hold of
(baring Iceberg lettece) -- green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce,
spinach, endive, sage, dill, parsley, radish tops, dandelion, mint, etc,
etc, etc , occasionally some onions and/or radish, wash and toss once
with oil, once with good vinegar, and sprinkle on salt.  I know it
sounds fussy, but the salad tastes better (and there are descriptions of
this being the "right" way to do it) if you coat the leaves with oil
before adding the vinegar, instead of mixing the dressing first, then
putting it on the salad.

toodles, margaret
Gretchen Beck
Computing Services