SC - Canning-direct me for a good start?

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Oct 5 17:50:15 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie, ex-4Her :)
Ras recommends the Ball Blue Book. I second this recommendation. Its
available through amazon.com, and not very expensive. It gives great
beginner instructions on canning and food preservation of all types and the
recipes arent half bad.

A good thing to start with is jams and the like...you cant die from doing
them wrong. If they dont set, you can still use it as pancake syrup or a
glaze for hams, etc. Once you get the hang of it, move on to simple
pickles, like pickled carrots, or bread and butter pickles, or pickled
onions. Again, the worst thing that happens is that the jar doesnt seal and
you keep it in the fridge till you eat it. Then, try a fresh salsa or other
acidic tomato project.

Onc youve gotten the knack of high acid canning, you may want to get a
pressure cooker and move to the low acid stuff (that's the stuff that if
you do it wrong you can get botulism, etc, but even then, its not hard).

good luck! canning is awfully fun. Pickled carrots, mushrooms, etc are a
super easy medieval-oide crunchy thing to serve at hot tourneys.

- --Anne-Marie, who used to win blue ribbons for salsa and stuff, and who's
mom cleaned up every year with dill pear pickles (ugh) and made jalapeno
jelly long before such things were so chic chic. (double ugh)