SC - Apple cider

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Oct 5 21:52:52 PDT 1998

Mordonna DuBois gave an interesting ham recipe:

Try Ras's recipe for baked ham as redacted by me:
1 ham
Apple cider
1 cloved onion
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp peppercorns

Place ham in large covered baking pan or dish, cover with apple cider, add the
cloved onion and spices.  Bake at 200 degrees F overnight.

- ------------------

Is there a particular reason you clove the onion rather than just dropping
the cloves in the cider? Why not cut the onion up into chunks? Or are you
wanting to serve the onion whole? I would think cutting up the onion would
yield up more onion flavor.

And a small point, the term is cloved, not cloven. Cloven means divided,
like hooves.

I think I will try this recipe soon, but not on my smithfield ham.

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net