SC - Sealing a Cauldron

Gerekr at aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Tue Oct 6 23:28:00 PDT 1998

On 10/6/98 12:55 AM you wrote:

>From:	sjcarter at dove.net.au (David & Sue Carter)
>Sender:	owner-sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
>Reply-to:	sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
>To:	sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
>I have just about finished constructing cauldron ( 700 mm diameter) of steel
>plates riveted together similar to the one found in the Osberg ship.  I am
>looking to seal the seams so that it will hold water.
>Question One:
>Does anyone have any suggestions about how this was done in the Viking  Era
>and any food safe modern alternatives that I could use.
>Question Two:
>Has anyone who has used one of these over an open fire any helpful
>suggestions before I try it out for the first time?
>
>Osgot         (David Carter)
>Innilgard    (Adelaide)
>Lochac      (Australia)

A number of years ago our barony's big annual do (Egil's Tourney
Skallagrimmsonnar) had a "food and cookware" theme tourney prize.  A
small riveted cauldron was part of this prize, about 2 gallon?  I believe
the maker sealed it by cooking several large batches of oatmeal in it...
no fooling, the "porridge juice" sealed the seams. 8-)

However, my husband, who has since taken up metalworking, is of the
opinion that while the porridge method is fine for modern mild steel
construction, in period they used wrought iron, which will weld at only
red heat.  (Steel takes white heat to weld... very easy to burn thru the
thin metal while trying to reach that heat.)

Chimene and Gerek
Adiantum (Eugene OR)
An Tir (Pacific NW)