SC - Fw: [Mid] Crown feedback/coffee

Wed Oct 7 04:20:12 PDT 1998

Rather than chase after all the primary references, let me recommend Ukers
"All About Coffee" and Ralph Hattox "Coffee and Coffeehouses, The Origins of
a Social Beverage in the Medieval Near East."  These are the two most
scholarly works on coffee available.  Ukers may be difficult to locate as
the various editions date from the 1920s and 30s.  Hattox was published in
1985 in a University of Washington paperback, ISBN 0-295-96231-3.  These
will also provide you with an extensive list of primary sources.

Almost every other source accepted the apocryphal as history and introduced
gross errors in historical dates.

As a beverage, coffee does not appear earlier than the late 13th Century and
then only in the context of Sufi ritual.  General use begins in the mid 15th
Century.  By the mid-16th Century, coffeehouses are common in al-Islam.
Provable European use in period is limited to the late 16th Century Northern
Italy.

Coffee was not percolated.  It was mixed with other ingredients and boiled
several times.  The method is still used.

Bear