SC - salads (long)-apology

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Oct 7 13:43:13 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/6/98 11:21:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<<  I was disagreeing with what I saw to be a pretty
 broad statement and didn't want folks to take that statement to mean they
could
 fix the salad they often eat modernly and feel it would be appropriate for a
 medieval feast.>>

Point well taken. A few historical cooks have through intent or accident
incorporated many of the things they learn in their research and
experimentation into our modern cooking styles. When this happens the lines do
sometimes became blurred and we occasionally forget that what is 'normal' for
us is not necessarily normal outside our own kitchens. Thank you for reminding
me. :-)

<<If the differances between medieval and modern salads were already clear to
folks, I appologize for my assumptions. >>

I can't really speak for 'folks'  in general and, if I appeared to have done
so, it is I that must seek forgiveness for my assumptions not you.Your
questions and observations oftentimes cause me to think about the nusances of
a subject that I might otherwise have overlooked. For this I am grateful.
Basic cooking skills and culinery knowledge are not inherited but are a
learned skill. Those of us who have passed that step tend to forget that not
everyone can boil eggs or make a simple sauce without instruction. I will try
to do better in the future. :-)

Ras