SC - Salads- a story

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Oct 7 14:24:28 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/7/98 12:24:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time, meadhbh at io.com
writes:

<< One thing I have used when i want to make a perio-oid salad is mixed wild
field
 greens. It just looks like someone went out and picked it from the field. >>

This reminds me of the feast I did for our shire during Maggie and Ruslan's
reign.

The whole theme of their reign was the '60's. They held court in equisitely
made period garb authentic down to every detail for the 14th cnetury (IIRC)
excpet that it was all done in tie-dyed material. :-)

The help in the kitchen was 'less' than experienced and one person fixed a
recipe that actually was 3 different items that when prepared individually
were meant to be assembled into a final dish for presentation. Not unusual in
itself for a period dish. I agree. However, this particular person took ALL of
the ingredients from each part of the recipe and mixed them all together inot
on big bowl and cooked them according to the final cooking directions for the
custard part of the recipe. The result> absolutely deliscious! Wierd, but
good. :-)

Anyway, while this culinary marvel was being created, I had gathered together
a couple of people who were knowledgeable in edible plants and we went out to
find a salad because the original salad fixings had not arrived with the
person they were supposed to arrive with and time plus event location
prevented a store run. We gathered violets, violet leaves, dandelions, Queen
Ann's Lace roots, birch leaves, watercresss, raspberries and a few other
things and made the salad from them. There was none left over. :-)

Of course, I wouldn't recommend everyone do this unless they are well grounded
in what is edible among the wild plants but it was successful. I remember this
episode as one of those 'moments" when you step back briefly in time and live
the Dream. ;-)

Ras