SC - Cooking Fido-- WAS: Modern Food Trends

LHG, JRG liontamr at ptd.net
Fri Oct 9 19:33:45 PDT 1998

>Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 02:32:39 EDT
>From: LrdRas at aol.com
>Subject: Re: SC - OT - Modern American Food Trends

>In a message dated 10/9/98 1:33:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>needlewitch at email.msn.com writes:

><< well, maybe the
 >dog stew, just a little. But it was good.) >>

>Recipe, please.

>Ras

OK. That's the last time I bring my dog to an event in Abhain ceach Ghlais
(Ras's home).

God knows you've fed me some doozies (and cackled gleefully all the while,
I'm sure). You have given me snake, bear, venison, squirill, goat, and emu,
to name just a few, and usually warned me afterwards! I am the subject of
that lovely storey you like to tell about the girl who wandered into the
kitchen and announced she didn't like venison and accepted a ladle of your
lovely beef stew, eating every bite only to discover it was venison (and
snake and....). Tho I have been doing SCA cooking longer than you, I did
actually learn something that day. Thus I have, regretably for my ego, had
to alter my "I hate game" attitude to the "game is cool"  'tude. I even
actually cook it now, and quite well. Problem was my mother (a kitchen
disaster) had done a real number on me in my youth with the various game
offerings my grandfather sent from big-game hunting all over the world. I'm
over it now (mostly--still can't abide aged blue goose).

But I absolutely, posatively will not eat crown roast of Fifi or Fido. I
have rescued too  many Fifis and Fidos from the pound, from the roadside,
and even from I-81 during rushour once (a white kitty with a very stupid
expression due to concussion that left the eyes forever out of synch, who
is now in the posession of Count Sir Edmund Draccator and his lady Countess
Rosalinde).

This may be your solution to the pet population explosion, Ras, but I warn
you to WARN ME if you are ever going to serve dog OR cat at an event.
Hubby already distrusts most SCA cooks after a bout with food poisoning
from an event. Let's not exascebate the situation, by feeding him dog,  'K?

Thanks bud

Aoife--only half kidding, and suffering from the cute and fuzzy syndrome
laced with a hefty disgust of eating (wo)man's best friend.