SC - meat days and fast days - MIXED?

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Oct 9 18:33:05 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/9/98 11:45:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
memorman at oldcolo.com writes:

<<  I just can't see period cooks -mixing- their feast day and
 fast day dishes!

 Other opinions?

 elaina >>

The period menus we have often list fish and meat in the same course.
Vegetables were served most often plain. We know from various writings that
veggies were used and a large portion of menus from the period include a non-
meat dish or two. So I personally have no problem combining feast and 'fast'
dishes in a single feast.

Since SCA feasts are usually held on Saturday which was not a meat day in the
MA, strict adherence to the 'rules' would mean that no Saturday SCA feast
could ever include meat. :-)

Ras