SC - meat days and fast days - MIXED?

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Oct 9 19:18:20 PDT 1998

Mary Morman wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Phil & Susan Troy wrote:
> >
> > Chiquart speaks of the need to be accomodating to the
> > guest cooks brought in by His Grace's guests who are on special diets of all
> > sorts; I believe he mentions abstaining from meat on meat days, for whatever
> > reason, as one such aberrant diet to be accomodated.
> >
> > Adamantius
>
> wonderful reference, adam ant!  can you get me the quote?

	From Chiquart's "Du Fait de Cuisine", transl. Terence Scully, © Peter Lang
Publishing, Inc., New York 1986, ISBN 0-8204-0352-0, pp. 14-15:

	"Since at such a feast there may be very high, mighty, noble, venerable and
honorable lords and ladies who will not eat meat, it is necessary to have
similar amounts of sea-fish and fresh-water fish, both fresh and salted, and
these in as varied preparations as can be.
	"And because the dolphin is king of all the other sea-fish, it will be put
first, then congers, grey mullet, hake, sole, red mullet, John Dory, plaice,
turbot, lobsters, tuna, sturgeon, salmon, sprats, sardines, sea-urchins,
mussels, eels, bogues, ray, calamary, weever and anchovies; the eels, both
fresh and salted.
	"Of freshwater fish: large trout, large eels, lampreys, filets of char, great
pike filets, great carp filets, great perch, dace, pollacks, greylings,
burbots, crayfish, and all other fish.
	"Because there are at this feast a few great lords or ladies, as was
mentioned before, who will have with them their Chief Cook whom they will
order to arrange and cook particular things for them, that Chief Cook should
have supplied and dispensed to him, quickly, fully, generously, and
cheerfully, anything he may ask for or that may be necessary for his lord or
lady, or for the both of them, so that he may serve them as he should."

> i'll put it with my reference from the abbot at bury st. edmonds about
> instructing the cook to cook and serve a regular meal with meat dishes and
> sweets even though the abbot himself only ate fast day foods - this was an
> act of charity so that the leftovers could go to the infirmary or to
> others at the table, or to the beggars at the gate.

Cool! Hope this helps!

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --