SC - Raccoon recipes- oop

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Oct 10 06:15:54 PDT 1998

Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> We never fried the 'possums or 'coons.  We always parboiled them, and then
> grilled or oven roasted.  Chicken, small fowl, rabbit, and squirrel could be
> fried.  Turkeys, large hens, and Guineas were always oven roasted or grilled.
> Venison was never fried unless it was a VERY young fawn.  For the most part,
> frying was reserved for beasts who were naturally tender.  'Coons are not
> naturally tender.

There may be an age factor here, and/or the concept of frying may be a gentler
thing where possums and racoons are concerned, at least in Appalachia. I don't
know, I'm just reporting what the Foxfire books recommend. It's possible that
a slow, gentle frying will result in a product effectively braised in its own
juices, like smothering. I've fried semi-elderly chickens in this way, and the
product, while not crisp, was tender when done.

But then I tend to have trouble with any statements using words like never,
are, and are not. Sorry, I wasn't calling your personal experience invalid or anything.

Adamantius, King of Qualified Statements (except on alternate Wednesdays, when
I am, more accurately, the Prince of Qualified Statements)
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com