SC - murri info now carob/ dibs question repost

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Mon Oct 12 11:02:33 PDT 1998

>Yes, I'm interested in carob use in the middle ages as well.  I'd never
>encountered it till now, but in borrowing a copy of Fabulous Feasts (to use as
>a bad example of what's out there for a class on choosing a period cookbook)
>I noted the use of carob in several recipes  - including a "sallat" recipe
>which, rather than the oniony greens we've been discussing, is mostly
>parboiled root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, beets 8-0), and fruits,
>including dried pineapple, and carob pods, with an elaborate creamy dressing.
>I think this "sallat" recipe is probably one of her more dubious recipes as
>far as having a period relationship.  Any other thought on that, as well as
>the carob question?  Is there documentation for use of carob in medieval
>European cooking?
>
>Brangwayna

"Wine is also made from the Syrian carob, and from pears and all kinds of
apples (one from pomegranates is called rhoites) as also from cornels,
medlars, service berries, dried mulberries and fir-cones; the last are
soaked in must before being pressed, but the juice of the preceding fruits
is sweet of itself..." Pliny the Elder, Natural History, Book XIV, section
XIX, pp. 255-257.

Carob is mentioned in Tacuinam Sanitatis.

HTH,

Cindy/Sincgiefu