SC - Feast Death not a Legend

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Mon Oct 12 16:09:10 PDT 1998

Chickengoddess wrote:

> Ladies and Gentleman,
>
> This is unfortunately not an urban legend.  It is also not as described on
> this list.    Several years ago, here in Meridies, a gentle did die of
> anphylactic shock due to a food allergy at a feast.  The sad truth is that
> this gentle was responsible for his own death, and by this I mean,
>
> 1. He knew he was allergic to the substance (I heard it was pine nuts, not
> peanuts)
> 2. He knew the substance was present in the food and decided to eat it
> anyway
> 3. He knew he did not have an Ana-Kit with him
>
> Rhiannon Cathaoir-mor

Not to argue with you, but the story I have is a bit different.  The gentle was
a man named Robert (sorry, no last name) whose lady was Gweneth of Lindisfarn
(sp?).  Gweneth was an aquaintance of Elspeth's, so the story was imparted to
her by several people at the scene.  (Yes, poor memory, Elspeth was not there
that night.)  This would have been between 5 and 10 years ago in the Shire of
IronOx in Meridies.  The feast included several oriental dishes that Robert had
eaten before.  According to what Elspeth was told, they SUSPECT a dish which
uses peanut oil to fry meats and veggies, but given the circumstances, a full
investigation to discern the allergen was never made.  Because he had eaten it
before, he ate it again.  Either he did not know that peanut oil was used at
all, or he thought that since it did him no harm last time, it wouldn't again.
Unfortunately, even if he ate it before, there's no saying that the previous
time the cook used the peanut oil.  I substitute oil all the time.  Or, that the
reaction wouldn't be stronger the next time.  The people Elspeth talked to said
that he wasn't aware.  This is all word of mouth, but I can get a first hand
account if more information is needed.

Brenna