SC - The High Cost of Feasts/Events

Marian DeBorah Rosenberg Marian.DeBorah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu
Mon Oct 12 22:22:52 PDT 1998

Also if rhe diner is paying 5 dollars for food at a feast, he/she would
typically pay the eqivalent of 50 to 100 dollars or more for second class food
in the same amounts at a mundane place.

In other words, the 3.50 that you mentioned might get you a half an ouer
d'oeuvre at a fine restaurant or maybe if your real lucky a bowl of soup. It
would not get you a typical full meal at McD's.

- ---
I'll agree with that.  This summer I went backpacking and when my friend and I
heard about a place off (Appalachian Trail) trail that had good entrees for
$19, well I don't know what he thought, but I assumed the whole meal would be
$19 per person.

Great meal.  Wonderful meal even.  With dessert for both of us and a glass of
wine for him, we blew $70.

When I'd worked out figures to feed 8 people for a week (4 of them left early,
1 never showed, 1 joined up Wednesday) and bought the meals to feed 8 people
for a week, I grossly overspent . . . coming in at $150.

I've never been to a feast.  I'm a complete SCA newbie.  I've been at a single
demo where there was a potluck.  I pleased my kitchen starved soul by peeling
potatoes for 2 hours and watching a spit for an hour or so.

That meal couldn't beat the fettucine in thick cream sauce, multiple types of
mushrooms, pretty garnishes, and fresh bread the off trail resteraunt had . . .
but it came awfully close.  Maybe all this dining hall food has ruined my
tastebuds or something.

Looking over this whole thread, I can't, for the life of me, understand why
people are complaining about spending $15-$20 on a 3+ course meal with
entertainment.

Please!