SC - allergy-kit questions--answers

Conni Hazelwood connimom at swbell.net
Tue Oct 13 09:37:47 PDT 1998

Once more about the Violent Food Allergies and the eppie or anaphylaxis
kits.  If you have an allergic reaction to ANYTHING!!!...food, medications,
insect bites or stings, inhaled substances;  that is severe enough to cause
respiratory distress.  You need to speak with a Dr., preferably an
Allergist, about it.  If the Dr. recommends an anaphylaxis kit, get one and
learn how to use it properly.  The shot is not an
IM(intramuscular)injection it is a subcutaneous injection(like an insulin
shot)you DO NOT have to worry about air bubbles.  Getting the shot in the
wrong place is a minor worry, you will be taught to give the shot in the
upper/outer thigh or the abdomen neither one of which has any major nerves
or blood vessels to hit, and besides you can't react them on most people
with a 1/2" to 5/8" needle.
   The epinephrine is a vasoconstrictor and is given to control the
extremely rapid almost violent congestion and swelling that characterizes an
anaphylactic reaction.  EPINEPHRINE IS NOT AN ANTIHISTAMINE!!! To make an
anaphylaxis kit effective you must combine the epinephrine with an
Antihistamine such as Benadryl. The antihistamine is necessary to counteract
the allergic or histamine reaction that has caused the swelling and
congestion.  If you are known to have an anaphylactic reaction to anything
your Dr can prescribe an injectable Benadryl(which can be had in a prefilled
syringe form.)  If this is not an option I suggest Benadryl in a liquid
form, there is nothing to be dissolved, your body can begin absorbing it
immediately.    BTW on the epinephrine, it is very sensitive to heat and
light:  so frequently replace the one you carry in your car/purse/tourney
gear, and keep the one at home in the fridge.
    As for myself, the fact that I am an RN aside, if someone was having an
anaphylactic reaction at a feast I was attending, I WOULD USE THE EPI-KIT if
one was to be had.  The most severe complication a person could suffer from
the improper use of this is on so severe as being dead!
   As to your having that severe a reaction to a food and NOT having an
anaphylaxis kit... well RAH said it, and I paraphrase There is only one
truly capital offense in the universe, its stupidity. Fortunately it tends
to be self punishing.
   End of soapbox
Conni