SC - Italian Ren Feast

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Oct 13 19:47:33 PDT 1998

david friedman wrote:

> >The latest translation/edition of
> >Platina that I've seen, one done by Mary Ella Millham, suggests that around
> >90% of Martino's work is virtually quoted by Platina.
>
> I haven't seen the new translation. Comparing a few recipes in the old
> translation of Platina with Martino, my impression was that Martino gave
> substantial more detailed instructions.
>
> David/Cariadoc
> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

Could be. I was thinking of Millham's own claims, which I supply, probably
erroneously, from memory: Platina repeatedly lauds Martino as the perfect
model for all a cook should be, and speaks glowingly of his work, yet ~90%
(some high percentage) of Martino's work is included in DHVEV, while the
portion of Platina's work that is taken from Martino is ~50%, plus added
medical info, suggesting that Platina's work is far more complete. Whether
Martino has been trimmed down for inclusion in Platina's work I don't know; it
may just be a count of titled recipes.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy