SC - Re: Period Feasts

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Oct 14 15:40:57 PDT 1998

> The SCA clearly encourages re-creating the best of the Middle Ages in areas
> totally unrelated to cookery  And it makes no special exceptions for the
> cook's craft. To automatically assume that people wnat 'familiar' food that
> tastes like modern food  at feast is , IMO, and experience simply not true.
> What they want is someone to do the cooking who knows how to cook. A majority
> of feast goers are disappointed when they set down to dishes and food that
> they eat everydayand consider such feasts a waste of money. The focus of the
> SCA cook should be primarily aimed at enhancing the medieval experience.
> Ras

An interesting point and in a similar vein is that before I really got on the
"Medieval Food is Good!" track I often served "unustal dishes" at my feasts
so the diners would have something other than the usual baked chicken and
roast brisket. Even though many of the dishes I served were not period, they
were not common.

The point is that people thought my feasts were good and wanted me to serve
them even though they, although not period, were not of the usual tastes.

People do like the unusual if it's cooked correctly. And by providing so many
dishes that are usually at most feasts if a person doesn't like one thing there
is always something else coming along.

Yers,

Gunthar